Friday, January 15, 2016

New Product in Chill: Amazing Locally Crafted Heirloom Corn Tortillas!

By: Taylor Silva, Chill Buyer

Hi All!

Taylor the chill buyer here, it’s been a while since my last post, the holidays can get extremely busy around here and we tend to need all hands on deck during the festive times. I am almost done playing catch-up now and thought it was the perfect time to introduce a New Local Product! I have been the chill buyer here at BV for a year & a half, and since the beginning my favorite part of the job has been supporting local vendors and the heart they put into their products. When Jennifer Greene, the owner of Windborne Farms contacted me about her sprouted corn tortillas I knew they were going to be a hit. 

I had heard about their success through the farmer’s market and knew they would be just as successful here. Besides, put the words “local” and “sprouted corn tortilla” in the same sentence and I’m totally game. After some back & forth of boring business talk, (and some amazing samples) we finally have them on the shelf ready for sale, and let me tell you, they do not disappoint! The tortillas have exceeded my expectations and I am so stoked to have such a great local product!
I’ll tell you a little bit about Jennifer’s process:


Windborne Farm is a 30 acre organic family farm based in Scott Valley, CA. While they are not certified, Jennifer assures me that her product is organic and NON-GMO. They plant the corn in late spring and to preserve the authenticity of the corn, Jennifer or her son will run a small cultivator tractor or their team of draft horses pulling a horse drawn cultivator! Their goal is to keep the weeds back from the rows and to gently hill the corn. When the corn fills out and dries in early fall, the ears are pulled from the plant and husked right there in the field where they are then placed on a cloth sheet to help the drying process. The last step for harvest is to push the ears through a manually operated contraption the pulls the seed from the dry cob.  You can read more about Windborne Farm’s tortilla making process in an article written by Jennifer: "Heirloom Corn Tortillas".


Learning about Jennifer’s family farm and their practices was a huge selling point for me, and the horse drawn cultivator was just cherry on top of the cake. I hope my readers find it as exciting and authentic as I do!


Jennfier will be making tortillas as long as they have a stock of dried corn and Berryvale will be happy to keep them in stock as long as they are available. You can find them in the refrigerated section next to the Ezekiel bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment